The Benefits of Cupping Therapy
Amber Fesser, RMT OWC – Shawnessy
The therapeutic benefits of cupping can best be explained by someone who has had the experience. But first of all, what the heck is cupping!
Cupping is an ancient Chinese form of medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin. The suction is created using heat or a mechanical device. There is evidence of cupping being practiced as early as 1000 BC in China.
Here are a few cases that demonstrate of the effects of cupping:
– A dancer/tennis player that had a rotator cuff tendon injury. After surgery and one year of rehab the athlete still could not dance or play tennis. After 5 cupping sessions, she was pain free and doing both activities!!
– “My massage therapist started ‘cupping’ on me over the last few months; I have been amazed at the results. I had very tender spots on my arms, from the tops to the inner parts of my elbows that she had been working on with various techniques. When she started the cupping treatments, the areas softened and the pain was alleviated completely within a few minutes. She cups my back and the tension seems to float away leaving me surrounded by warmth and relaxation.” K. Baker, Technician.
The Top Five Benefits of Cupping Therapy
- Improved circulation.
- Accelerates healing of acute and chronic injuries.
- Rids the body of toxins.
- Improves joint motion by stretching connective tissues.
- Stimulates and improves digestion.
There are numerous other benefits that you may come to experience. Call an Optimum Wellness Centres location near you and book your first massage/cupping appointment. Cupping can be billed through your massage benefits.