Quinoa Summer Salad with Simple Cider Vinaigrette
Cooking the quinoa in advance makes this salad especially quick to prepare!
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) frozen green peas (plus 2 cups/500 ml boiling water to soak peas) 3 cups (750 ml) cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1 cup (250 ml) red bell peppers, chopped 1/4 cup (60 ml) green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cucumber, seeds removed, diced 1/4 cup (60 ml) green pistachios (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shelled hempseed nuts
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) parsley, cilantro, or basil, chopped (I prefer cilantro) 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Simple Cider Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
In bowl, soak frozen peas in boiling water. Let sit until peas have warmed through. Drain peas and pat dry. In large bowl, combine peas with remaining ingredients. Toss through to mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate in airtight container.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.
For 6 servings, each serving contains: 214 calories; 10 g protein; 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 5 g fibre; 87 mg sodium
This tangy yet simple vinaigrette works well in the quinoa salad, as it doesn’t compete with the other ingredients.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste 1 1/2 Tbsp (25 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
Blend all ingredients. Season to taste with additional sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Each 1/4 cup (60 mL) serving contains: 169 calories; 1 g protein; 17 g fat (2 g sat. fat; 0 g trans fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g fibre; 788 mg sodium
By: Shari Anticknapp RHN, NNCP
Shari works out of the Optimum Bowness location